some vacation!

When you're a rural telecommuter, being locked out is a lonely business.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

c'mon CBC, show us your hits

I was distressed to read the article by Guy Dixon in the Globe and Mail today about the new CBC Radio One afternoon schedule. This quote from host Kelly Ryan about the new program "Freestyle" leapt out at me:

..."we're playing lots of music. Music that doesn't normally make it on the CBC," such as Madonna, Elton John and Top 40, Ryan added. "This is the kind of show you can have on in the background at work, in the dentist office, moms at home. We're really hoping we can move into the work market, the office market, retail..."

OK, I'm a music programmer with interests in something other than Top 40 fare. Admittedly, I'm biased. But I'm also a work-from-home mother of two kids for whom the CBC is a lifeline. Some days it is my only contact with the outside world.

The very last thing I want to hear on the CBC in the afternoon is Madonna and Elton John. I choose to listen to the CBC because there's a very good chance that I won't ever hear Madonna, Elton John, Shania Twain, Rod Stewart, Mariah Carey or Phil Collins. It's enough that I have to hear them when I do go to the dentist.

I sincerely hope that Ms. Ryan is grossly overstating the case for the kind of music that we can expect to hear starting next Monday.

4 Comments:

At 8:37 PM, Blogger Justin Beach said...

I agree, there is alot of quality music out there that doesn't get enough, or in some cases any, airplay. Personally, until something happens to change my mind, I'll trust CBC radio to provide the kind of quality and diversity that they always have.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger aaron said...

This show has made me so, so angry. It's the last thing I wanted to hear on my radio on an afternoon. Normally, I'm with justin and I'd trust CBC to continue to provide quality, but for 3 days in a row now, it hasn't. And it hasn't for 2 hrs solid. A national broadcaster's mandate can NOT be to provide office-workers with background music and inane batter. q-tip painters, pet web-sites, new pigs, and a host who didn't know Men Without Hats were canadian? Anyways, the rage really comes out of my love for the cbc. I hope they wise-up.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Philly M said...

Sadly, after listening to the 1st few shows, I'm still waiting for my fears to be quelled. The music has made me yell at the radio a few times already. More than a few.

What are we doing?

I want a cappucino and a biscotti in the afternoon - a pick-me-up with richness and depth. We're being offered the "nice light snack" of a Coffee Crisp.

One positive thing I can say: although the talk is pure fluff and the hosts and guests get facts wrong on a regular basis (Men Without Hats, the piece about veterinary products used as cosmetics), at least the hosts have some kind of rapport on air. Perhaps that will count for something as they fine tune this thing...

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Brodie said...

I know that this show is in it's infancy but I can't forgive the CBC for even thinking that this kind of programming is what should be on the air. Rage is a perfect word to how I am feeling right now. I feel like a long time friend has just gone and done something that is unforgiveable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home