some vacation!

When you're a rural telecommuter, being locked out is a lonely business.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

phew

It's over. Well and truly done, save the ratification vote. (If you think there's any chance this won't pass, I've got some lovely "wetland" on the Saugeen River I'd like to show you...).

I had a bit of a cry today. OK, I teared up at least 3 times in the last 24 hours. I guess I didn't realize how much tension I was holding in my body until I let it all out. Glad that's done.

I still don't know where I'm going to stand once this deal is ratified and we sit down to look at the fine print in our individual contracts. The president of the union says I'll convert to staff, the head of my department says "no, I don't think so". Who's right?

Perhaps all will be revealed tomorrow at the pre-ratification meeting. I can't be there, alas. Hey - anyone want to hold a cell phone up to a speaker and ask the reps what's going to happen to us fixed-term freelancers now that our contract catagory is gone? I'd appreciate it.

Not that it'll change my vote (by proxy), but it would be nice to know...

OK. Wind-down time. Thanks, first:

Thanks to all the amazing bloggers out there (Robin, John, WorkerBee etc.) who provided the valuable information and good humour that kept me sane when this all began and I couldn't be out there picketing. Thanks to everyone who wrote. And a thousand thanks and a great big giant hug to you, Tod Maffin. You not only kept an astonishing blog but you got out there across the country out of sheer love for your work and ours. You were everyone's lifeline and a touchstone in this madness. You're my hero, too.

This blog will continue on as a chronicle of the miscellaneous mundane meanderings of my life. If you care to drop by, you're always welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home