some vacation!

When you're a rural telecommuter, being locked out is a lonely business.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

the mountain man of lockout '05

my computer is an anachronism. You know, back in the day, a G3 was considered pretty hot. now it's likely to show up on the Antiques Roadshow. I can't run the browser platforms I need to be able to properly maintain this blog, ergo the lack of finesse. Combine that with a blazing dail-up speed of about 28800 and blogging is about as much fun as watching paint dry - without the benefit of intoxicating fumes.

it also means - realistically - that I can't read all the other blogs out there. if each one takes a couple of minutes to load... well, you do the math. I'd have to stay up all night. It took 34 minutes to download DJ Flex's mash-up (hot damn, it was worth it). and yes, I've asked: Bell Canada says they have no intention of making high-speed lines available where I live (1km from town) for about 20 years.

Harumph.

So, my one-woman picket continues out here in the boonies. I'm beginning to feel like one of those Japanese soldiers lost in the mountains in Indonesia.

no plain brown envelopes have come from the CBC for me, and so far I haven't been assigned a CMG "duty captain" for long-distance lockout duty, although I have asked twice. I also noticed that mine was not one of the last names amended to the list of bloggers on the CBC intranet before it was pulled down. Should I assume it's because everyone knows who "Philly - Toronto freelance host," is, or that no-one does? (I've always assumed that working as a radio host for CBC virtually assures my anonymity in the outside world, anyway!)

thank the gods that a few of you have written, or I'd begin to think that outside my domestic sphere, I don't actually exist. Suddenly, I'm a character in an existential horror flick!

but hey, they're making some headway at the table. that's my kind of start to a long weekend.

have a great one, eh?

4 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Blogger Laurence said...

Philly,
If you you read nothing else this weekend, check out Robin Rowland's (The Garret Tree) blog #52.
VERY important reading.

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger Justin Beach said...

Or just have someone fill you in on what Robin said. Good luck out there, you may feel a bit isolated but there are people all over the country fighting the same fight. Who have you been asking re: the picking captain thing?

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Philly M said...

Thanks for the tip, I spent some time at the library yesterday and read every word of Robin's cogent analysis - twice. I don't think that anyone else has managed to pull together the chatter so effectively or contrast the competitive-market-driven aspects of upper management's stance to the committed nature of CBC employees with such lucidity. REQUIRED reading, indeed!

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger cbcworkerbee said...

Hang in there, Philly, and keep blogging. People are reading you... well, I am, and considering where you're linked, others must be too. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home