some vacation!

When you're a rural telecommuter, being locked out is a lonely business.

Friday, September 02, 2005

check, please!

Ugh.

I have two invoices that have gone missing somewhere in the CBC. One is for expenses accrued when I did some out-of-town business travel. The other is for shows I wrote for the upcoming season, recorded before the lockout.

Normally - even under these abnormal circumstances - this shouldn't be a problem. I have an organized and competent colleague on the inside who is trying to help me. I could send copies to her. But we all know things are rarely that simple.

Problem #1 is that the expense invoice was sent to another city, to another CMG member. I'll have to track her down at home to follow the paper trail.

Problem #2 has to do with my invoice for the shows. Usually I could fax in another copy, but there's one small glitch. My contract begins in August. I had read it, signed it and returned it the last week of July. Then I recorded 2 shows before I had a paper copy of the contract back in my hands. I'm quite sure it's waiting for me in my mailbox. The problem? I don't know the exact dollar figure I should be invoicing. I had brought a blank invoice into studio that week and filled in the amounts by hand...the first and only time I have ever done this. (No, I didn't take a photocopy... I'm so used to my usual system it never crossed my mind.) All I have is the ballpark figure I jotted down later at home. And I can't get in to the B'cast Centre to get my contract.

I've learned my lesson about keeping impeccable records. Let's hope my colleague can find a copy of the contract today without having to sort through my mail. [NOTE: she did. yippee!]

In other news, I'm hearing amazing stories from the inside. I have another colleague who has been retained as an essential worker during the lockout. While his co-workers are on the line, he's in to do a "lite" version of his job and make sure the systems he normally oversees don't fail. (He also waters other people's plants.) He says that there are members of other unions who are adding to their own workloads to ensure that they don't have to use the same systems that their CMG colleagues would normally use to get a job done. They've invented new ways of working - on the fly - out of respect for their co-workers.

Surely this display of the ingenuity and adaptability of humans bodes well for the negotiations.

One can only hope.

1 Comments:

At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did he mention the APS members who are collecting big bucks to keep *systems* running?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home