some vacation!

When you're a rural telecommuter, being locked out is a lonely business.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

we interrupt this repeat...

It is discombobulating for those of us who are locked out to hear our old shows being played at odd times in the schedule, or in my case, on a different network altogether. At least they are identified as repeat programs.

I feel for the summer replacement hosts whose shows are being heard for the 1st time during the lockout. It sounds as if they've crossed the line to produce them. We who work for CBC know they got them in the can before the lockout. But does the public know?

I'm amazed at how few people understand the difference between a strike and a lockout. People ask me if I'll go back to work if I need to, or if I'm invited in. They can't quite comprehend when I say: "I'm not striking, I'm locked out. That means they won't LET me work, even if I wanted to, which I don't under the circumstances."

Then there are those listeners who tell me how great it is to hear all the repeats, and to get R2 shows on R1. I just paste a smile on my face and say "Come talk to me after a few weeks time and see how much you like it then..."

Let's be honest: what scares us all - on both sides of the line - is that maybe they DON'T really care what we're putting to air.

1 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Blogger Peter J. said...

We do! (Care, that is.) Here's hoping that today's talks have gone well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home