some vacation!

When you're a rural telecommuter, being locked out is a lonely business.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

poster-girl for the CMG

Last week I wrote a feature about life as a long-term contract worker for the CMG's CBContheline website (see link, right - it's archived at "your stories"). The piece will be excerpted in upcoming flyers and print ads.

Today I'm making the most of being home with my son, who starts grade 1 next week, while his sister is away at camp. He made 2 funky cardboard-box dioramas (a winter scene and an underwater scene). We watched Peep and Pepper Pig together while I re-organized the contents of the bathroom cupboards by spreading everything across the floor in front of the TV. We snacked on crackers and cheese and outrageously delicious red plums. This afternoon we'll go down the road and shake the apple trees, then we'll cart home whatever we can and make a huge batch of applesauce.

I'm so fortunate that the kids keep me grounded and in the moment, or this lockout could consume my thoughts. They remind me that broadcasting is what I do, but it's not who I am.

1 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,
Just wanted to say that your article was great. If anyone asks me why these issues are so important I would direct them to your article. Well done. Your poster girl status is well deserved.
Enjoy the extra time with your children during this lockout. This is my third CBC labour dispute and I can tell you from experience that your children will indeed help keep you grounded. And no matter what deal is signed at the end of all this no one can ever take away the extra time you will get to spend with your children.
All the Best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home